Christmas foods your pets should steer clear of – from nutmeg to raisins
DURING the holiday season many of us spend much of our time whipping up tasty dishes to enjoy with our family members.
But when thinking about the family’s food preferences, there is one member whose dietary restrictions should be kept in mind: the house pet.
Cooking in the kitchen or eating in the dining room often leads to at least a few stray crumbs on the floor.
And although your dog may jump at the opportunity to taste the sweet-smelling human food he discovered, it could be extremely dangerous and life-threatening.
To protect your family pooch and help you avoid a Christmas Day disaster, we’ve compiled a list of a few common holiday foods you should keep away from your dogs:
Although we all love a silky holiday fudge, we have to be careful about leaving remnants within our dog’s reach. Chocolate—especially dark chocolate—contains toxic substances that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, and seizures for your pets.
Most read in Fabulous
I'm a tattoo artist – and regret inking couple after hearing how they met
I’m a council estate queen and everyone knows someone with names like these
I'm a mistress and my Christmas present is my lover leaving his wife
We saved a fortune on bunk beds for the kids thanks to B&M & The Range bargains
Honey-baked ham is a sweet and savory staple at many of our Christmas dinner parties. For dogs, however, this food may send them straight to the vet. Its high levels of both salt and sugar can cause painful digestive issues and can sometimes lead to pancreatitis for pups.
Grapes and Raisins
Nothing makes for a delectable winter salad like throwing in some chopped grapes and dried raisins. But these small fruits can cause big damage to your pets. If consumed, they typically induce vomiting, but can even go as far as causing kidney failure.
A plate of warm macadamia nut cookies sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a Christmas movie. Just be sure they aren’t accessible for your furry friends. Even only a couple bites could bring on weakness in the back legs, hyperthermia, and vomiting. While you’re here, you might as well keep other nuts—like almonds, pecans, and walnuts—away from your dog too, as the oil content can cause painful reactions
Onions And Garlic
Although these two ingredients can give a holiday gravy the peppery kick it needs, it is crucial that we don’t let our dogs near them. The substance called thiosulphate can cause amenia in your pet and destroy his red blood cells.
Although a large glass of creamy eggnog is a sure way to get your Christmas party started, one of the drink’s signature ingredients should be stored with caution if you have a dog. Nutmeg contains a compound called Myristicin, which is toxic for dogs and can cause disorientation, high heart rate, seizures, and hallucinations.
It is not just the eggnog you have to look out for—it’s all kinds of alcoholic beverages. Most of us know that too much alcohol can lead to adverse effects in humans, but many of us don’t know that it can harm dogs as well. Beer, wine, and liquor contain an ingredient called ethanol, which can cause alcohol intoxication in pups. This may produce vomiting, disorientation, high body temperature, restlessness, and excessive panting. So, while you’re living it up with a drink in hand, look out for your little friend below.
A shot of espresso or a warm americano is the perfect digestif following a big holiday dinner. But be sure to hold your coffee cups close, because the caffeine stimulant within can be poisonous to dogs.
Milk And Dairy
Besides the caffeine aspect of a cup of joe, the milk isn’t so great for your dog either. The sugars and fatty acids within certain types of dairies (cow, goat, etc.) are difficult for dogs to digest.
And finally, nothing screams Christmas feast like a heaping bowl of mashed potatoes. While you’re boiling and peeling the taters in the kitchen, however, keep your dog in another room. Raw and green potatoes contain a substance called solanine, which can lead to difficulty breathing and stomach upsets. Cooked potatoes, on the other hand, are typically a safe bet for your pet.
Here's to a happy, vet-free holiday!
Source: Read Full Article