DRESS length can be hit and miss when you're on the petite side, but fear not: we've found the best petite midi dresses that won't drown your figure.
Midis are once again on-trend this season and are flattering and are a comfortable length on a dress that anyone can wear, coming in an endless array of styles.
Sitting somewhere below your knees and above your ankles, midi dresses look stylish whether worn casually or dressed up.
The length makes it work appropriate too, so it's a great way to incorporate dresses into your workwear wardrobe, without the impracticalities of shorter or floor-sweeping styles.
But f you're small and petite, it can be a tricky length to shop though. Petite is generally considered 5'4 or 163cm and we've scoured the web, and tracked down the best petite midi dresses – so you don't have to.
The smocked, milkmaid dress has been with us for several seasons and shows no signs of going away. This one by ASSUAL is available in petite, regular, tall, and plus size – as well as black, red and navy colourways.
The flax linen blend is a great choice for the warmer months, with puff sleeves keeping the look airy.
The reviews look promising too, with one writing: 'This is a really beautiful quality dress made from linen. It's not scratchy at all though, soft and solid design and stitching. Can't wait to wear this out!'
20 Roman Originals Women Petite Floral Print Cold Shoulder Midi Dress £40 from Amazon – buy here
How cute is this Roman Originals dress? The white background and pretty floral print are soft and feminine, and scream 'summer holiday.'
The frill V-neckline and cold shoulder sleeves are super-flattering and ideal if you want to flash some skin without going fully sleeveless. Plus, the tiered skirt and frill hem are also perfect for adding volume and building on the romantic look.
With a self-tie waist belt, it comes in four colours and will look amazing teamed with a wedge sandal and woven bag for a summery look.
READ MORE: Best jeans for pear shape Best slim-fit work trousers Best walking sandals for women Best prom dresses Best push-up bikinis 3. New Look Petite Black Ribbed Racer Midi Dress Petite Black Ribbed Racer Midi Dress, £14.99 from New Look – buy here
This ribbed dress from New Look's petite range is a great example of how the midi can be effortlessly laidback.
With a racer back design, round neckline and bodycon fit, just add trainers and jewellery for lazy park vibes.
4. New Look Petite Blue Floral Lace Trim Midi Dress Petite Blue Floral Lace Trim Midi Dress, £27.99 from New Look – buy here
'Sooo cute, can’t wait to wear it in summer. Fits nicely too,' raves a five-star review for this lace trim midi.
Featuring long puff sleeves and a fit-and-flare design, the black lace gives it a bold and contemporary spin.
5. New Look Petite Pink Animal Print Belted Midi Shirt Dress Petite Pink Animal Print Belted Midi Shirt Dress, £35.99 from New Look – buy here
Animal print..but not as you know it.
We love the pink and red colourway of this New Look shirt dress: it's bold, vibrant and guaranteed to make a statement.
It's also part of New Look's Kind range, made from more responsible or recycled fabrics.
6. M&S Collection Pure Cotton Broderie Belted Midi Shirt Dress M&S Collection Pure Cotton Broderie Belted Midi Shirt Dress, £59 from M&S – buy here
'Pure Cotton Broderie': are there any three words that can describe a more summery outfit?
This shirt dress is timeless, chic and full of elevated details – from the tie waist to the tiered skirt.
Plus, the fabric is backed by the Better Cotton initiative which empowers and supports farmers.
7. M&S Collection Linen Rich V-Neck Midi Slip Dress M&S Collection Linen Rich V-Neck Midi Slip Dress, £45 from M&S – buy here
Crafted from a linen and cotton blend, this relaxed midi is going straight to the top of our summer wishlist.
The oversized slip shape is easy to dress up or down, with a colourful abstract print that does all the talking.
8. River Island Petite Cream Striped Bodycon Midi Dress River Island Petite Cream Striped Bodycon Midi Dress, £40 from River Island – buy here
River Island has some fabulous midis in its petite range, including this striped bodycon number.
With a ribbed fabric and front split hem, it's simple but sexy – plus check out those glam gold-tone trimmed buttons.
9. River Island Petite Black Animal Print Midi Shirt Dress River Island Petite Black Animal Print Midi Shirt Dress, £42 from River Island – buy here
With its frill detail, puff sleeves and leopard print, this is exactly the sort of midi that you might think would be 'too busy' for anyone not six foot tall.
However, in River Island's petite sizing, the proportions are spot on and it can even be toughened up with a chunky pair of boots.
10. ASOS DESIGN Petite Metallic Channel Detail Midi Dress with Puff Sleeves and Tie Back Detail in Red ASOS DESIGN Petite metallic channel detail midi dress with puff sleeves and tie-back detail in red, £65 from ASOS – buy here
If you're shopping for an upcoming event or special occasion, don't sleep on this metallic midi by ASOS design.
With its plunge neck, tiered skirt and lace-up back, it's high on glam and perfect on length.
11. Topshop Petite Shirred Strap Midi Dress in Black Topshop Petite shirred strap midi dress in black, now £45 from ASOS – buy here
Topshop's shirred midi dress might look chaste from the front, but turn around and there's an open back that's ultra sexy and seductive.
The fabric also has a subtle damask style pattern that gives this dress added dimension.
12. Anaya Petite Cut Out Puff Sleeve Midi Dress in Pink Anaya Petite Cut Out Puff Sleeve Midi Dress in Pink, £65 from ASOS – buy here
This is one of those dresses that feels like it's straight out of a fairytale – or Carrie Bradshaw's wardrobe.
Sweet in candy pink, the soft tulle fabric is given a contemporary edge thanks to cut-out detailing on the front.
13. Nobody's Child Petite Mary Floral Midi Dress, Green Nobody's Child Petite Mary Floral Midi Dress, Green, £55 from John Lewis – buy here
This is a versatile, everyday dress that will work for any number of occasions – from work to the weekend.
The tie side arms and shirring to the back are added details that bring more interest to this simple silhouette too.
14. Nobody's Child Petite Elora Stripe Midi Dress, Green Nobody's Child Petite Elora Stripe Midi Dress, Green, £75 from John Lewis – buy here
Made from organic cotton, this striped midi looks cool, breezy and made for summer days.
It comes in a relaxed cut, so Nobody's Child recommends sizing down if you want a more fitted shape.
15. Boden Ruched Bodice Midi Dress Boden Ruched Bodice Midi Dress, £96 (was £120) from Boden – buy here
Summer soirees are calling…and so is this Boden dress.
Made from a linen blend, the red is a pure statement, while the fitted bodice and puff sleeves are totally on-trend. There's a blue paisley version too if you prefer a slightly more boho vibe.
16. Boden Tiered Easy Jersey Midi Dress Tiered Easy Jersey Midi Dress, £64 (was £80) from Boden – buy here
The clue is in the name of this Boden midi frock: made from jersey, it's easy-wearing so it'll be a go-to in your wardrobe this season.
'Ideal work or play dress' summarises one reviewer and we totally agree.
17. Boden Frill Detail Jersey Midi Dress Frill Detail Jersey Midi Dress, £64 (was £80) from Boden – buy here
A square neckline and ruffle-trim straps are all it takes to dress up this jersey midi – well, that and the adorable ditsy floral print.
We love Boden's styling with clogs, which speaks to the prairie girl influence.
18. Boohoo Petite Tie Waist Formal Wiggle Midi Dress Petite Tie Waist Formal Wiggle Midi Dress, £18 (was £20) from Boohoo – buy here
This wiggle midi dress will look stylish and polished worn to work, but also works great for a night out if you dial up the accessories.
Crafted from a soft jersey fabric, the waist tie can be knotted at the front or back of the dress for versatility – plus it's also available in five other colourways.
19. Boohoo Petite Jumbo Rib Belted Collar Midaxi Dress Petite Jumbo Rib Belted Collar Midaxi Dress, £12 (was £15) from Boohoo – buy here
This petite dress from Boohoo is midaxi length, which is a great midi dress alternative if you don't want your dress to stop at the widest part of your calves.
The ribbed jersey fabric will hug your body like a glove – plus we're big fans of the delicious chocolate colourway which adds warmth and depth to any skin tone.
20. Boohoo Petite Button Front Split DenimDress Petite Denim Button Front Split Denim Dress, £16.80(was £28) from Boohoo – buy here
You can't beat a denim dress for laidback summer style, so this one is a must.
The loose cut and button front style add to the casual feel, while the cami-style straps stop it from looking too baggy. Pick it up while it's in the sale.
Can a petite person wear a midi dress?
Yes! There's absolutely no reason why you should avoid any style of clothing just because you're petite: the key is to find well-fitting garments tailored to your frame, which is where petite ranges come in.
Midi dresses can also be a great option if you feel too swamped in maxi dresses but still want a dress with some length to it.
What is the best length of a midi dress for a short person?
Midi length generally falls anywhere below the knee and above the ankle – so that leaves some variation in dress lengths that you might want to consider.
Because your calves are the widest point of your legs, dresses that sit at this length can sometimes have a shortening effect– so choosing a midi that falls just above your calves can help to create the illusion of longer legs.
How do you wear a midi dress without looking frumpy?
First up, we'll start by saying it's a misconception that midi dresses are by definition, frumpy – but we
do get that they've not always been super on-trend and have previously had a more 'sensible' image, shall we say. Read More on The Sun I found my dream council home on Facebook – I did all the work myself I’m a travel expert – here’s why you should always get on a plane LAST
To keep things looking contemporary, pay attention to the fit and cut of your dress – and style accordingly. For example, a loose and oversized midi can look a bit safe with flat pumps but teamed with a wedge or flatform, it will suddenly have a different edge to it.
Likewise, if you're going to stick with flats, midis with more shape and structure will highlight your best parts. Look for dresses that nip in at the waist, bodycon styles and anything with an interesting neckline such as plunge, square or Bardot.
Looking for more stylish savings at your favourite fashion chains? Visit Sun Vouchers where you’ll find amazing discounts and voucher codes for hundreds of fashion retailers including ASOS, Very, River Island, Roman Originals, New Look and more.
Read Full Article