Miles Bridges Reportedly Agrees To Deal Over Domestic Violence Charge
American professional basketball player who last played for the Charlotte Hornets of the National Basketball Association, Miles Bridges pleaded no contest Thursday in Los Angeles to one felony count of injuring a child’s parent, agreeing to do so in exchange for three years probation and no jail time. The restricted free agent will also have to complete 52 weeks of parenting classes, 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling and 100 hours of community service as part of the agreement. He had been facing three felony charges — the one he pleaded no contest to, and two others of child abuse under circumstances or conditions likely to cause great bodily injury or death.
The no-contest plea means Bridges, who was present in court, is accepting the punishment and the conviction without formally admitting guilt in the case. Bridges was accused of assaulting his then-girlfriend in front of their two children in May. In July, Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon’s office filed three felony charges against Bridges, who initially pleaded not guilty to all three.
RELATED: Former NBA Player Eric Bledsoe Reportedly Arrested And Has Been Charged With Domestic Violence
On Thursday, Bridges’ attorney and the DA’s office reached an agreement that he plead no contest to one felony count of injuring a child’s parent and that the other two counts be dismissed. The felony charges also included “an allegation of causing great bodily injury on the domestic violence victim,” and that allegation was dismissed as part of the plea agreement, per ESPN.
The two dismissed counts were charges of child abuse under circumstances or conditions likely to cause great bodily injury or death. The DA’s July release said the children were present for the alleged assault but did not otherwise specify what the child abuse counts stemmed from.
During his three-year probation, Bridges, 24, will be required to complete 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling and 52 weeks of parenting classes, serve 100 hours of community service and undergo weekly narcotics testing with marijuana allowed only if there is a valid doctor’s prescription. He cannot own any guns, ammunition or any weapons. He also will have to pay a restitution fine of $300 (with a restitution hearing scheduled for Jan. 13) and a domestic violence fine of $500 and obey the terms of a 10-year protective order, staying 100 yards away from and having no contact with the woman. Bridges and the woman maintain custody over their two children, and any visitation or exchange of children must be done peacefully and through a neutral third party.
“We believe this resolution was the best avenue to hold Mr. Bridges accountable for his conduct,” the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement. “We also understand through the victim’s representatives that the victim wanted an expedited resolution of the case. The victim and her representatives were consulted about the proposed resolution and agreed with the outcome of the case.”
Bridges’ attorney declined comment.
At the moment, Bridges remains unsigned, but if he were to sign with a team, the NBA, under the collective bargaining agreement, has the right to suspend, fine, dismiss or disqualify him from any further association from the league because he pleaded no contest.
An NBA spokesperson said Thursday that the league continues to review the matter.
The Hornets said in a statement they “will continue to gather information before determining any potential next steps.”
Bridges was arrested June 29 by Los Angeles police and released on $130,000 bond.
Before his arrest, the Hornets had extended the 6-foot-7 Bridges a qualifying offer, which allows them a chance to match any offer sheet he signs with another team. Last season was his fourth in the NBA.
READ NEXT: Charlize Theron’s Beverly Gove Estate Lists For $2 Million
Sources: NBA, ESPN
Source: Read Full Article