1pm Man Utd news LIVE: Van de Beek latest, RB Leipzig build-up, Romero ‘wants contract cancelled’ – The Sun

SERGIO ROMERO is reportedly keen to set up a meeting with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ed Woodward to cancel his contract.

The Argentine was left furious after being dropped from both Man Utd's Champions League and Premier League squads.

Follow all the latest from Old Trafford below…

  • Josh Graham

    TROUBLE BRUING

    Manchester United should be concerned about Bruno Fernandes' body language, according to ex-England boss Steve McClaren.

    Fernandes has been linked with a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona and former Red Devils assistant McClaren told talkSPORT: “I’ve been watching Bruno Fernandes and he’s disappointed.

    “He’s disappointed because he’s been taken out of the middle and he’s out on the right-hand side.

    “I saw it last week against Newcastle, when he went out wide, and I’m seeing it again now.

    “His body language is not good, he’s not getting involved.

    “He needs to be in the game and on that right-hand side he’s not moving from there, he’s got to move from there, he’s got to get his head up and get back into the game and affect the game.”

  • Josh Graham

    PAUL OF LIES

    Paul Pogba has slammed reports he has retired from international football as fake news.

    Various Middle Eastern sources made the claims after comments made by France's leader.

    However, neither the 27-year-old, nor the French Football Association, ever commented on the speculation.

    The reports came in the wake of the beheading of teacher Samuel Paty, 47, who was attacked on his way home from the junior high school where he taught in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, 40km northwest of Paris, which French president Emmanuel Macron labelled an 'Islamic terrorist attack'.

  • Josh Graham

    UNDO WAY

    Manchester United new boy Facundo Pellistri played his first game for the Red Devils.

    The Uruguayan teenager starred for the Under-23s after moving to Old Trafford on deadline day.

    The 18-year-old completed the 90 minutes against Everton.

  • Josh Graham

    RASH CALL

    Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford denied he had heard from the PM as his free school meals campaign gathers pace.

    The 22-year-old, awarded an MBE by the Queen for his charitable work, replied to suggestions made by health secretary Matt Hancock that the Prime Minister had made contact with him.

    He tweeted: “Hmm, unless he’s referring to the call we had following the u-turn in June?…”

  • Josh Graham

    WHAT HAVE YOU DON?

    Donny van de Beek should have REJECTED Manchester United, according to Dutch legend Marco van Basten.

    Real Madrid were also strongly linked with the midfielder before he completed a £40million move to Old Trafford in September.

    Van Basten told Ziggo Sport, via the Mail: “Donny should not have gone to Manchester United.

    “”It is really bad for a player like Donny to play only six or seven games this year. That is shocking for your match rhythm.

    “I know he is earning loads and loads more than he used to. But as a top player you have to be critical and look at the chances of playing when you sign for a new club.

    “Donny should have waited for better prospects and signed for another club.”

  • Josh Graham

    HOW DEP IS YOUR LOVE?

    Former Manchester United flop Memphis Depay was mocked for wearing a 'stay strong' T-shirt in honour of stricken Virgil Van Dijk.

    Fans online were torn between seeing the message as a heartwarming gesture for a pal – or an altogether cringeworthy affair.

    Scoring in Lyon's 4-1 win over Monaco on Sunday night, the Dutchman unveiled a T-shirt that read: “Virgil, stay strong my brother.”

    Van Dijk is expected to be out for several months after suffering a knee injury in a clash with Jordan Pickford during the recent Merseyside derby.

  • Josh Graham

    TIME TO PAUL IT A DAY

    Manchester United legend Paul Ince has told Paul Pogba to 'move on' weeks after the French ace said it was his 'dream' to play for Real Madrid.

    Pogba was again benched for the 0-0 draw at home to Chelsea on Saturday before coming on after 58 minutes.

    Ince told beIN Sports: “For him to be sitting on the bench and watching, with no disrespect, McTominay and Fred playing in his position, I would be saying, ‘I must be doing something wrong if I can’t get in this team'.

    “”I know he has had an injury, and he might be trying to bring him on a little later on. But I think it is time to move on.

    “He has come out in the last two weeks and said he wants to join Real Madrid. I think his performances, since he has been here, have been inconsistent.

    “Paul Pogba is a world-class player, and when he moved to Old Trafford, I thought [it would be] great. But all he has done is been a problem.

    “The fans have gone against him and now Bruno Fernandes has come in and shown what you need to do to be a Manchester United player.”

  • <a href='http://www.thesun.co.uk/sport' rel='external nofollow ugc' class='url'>Alex Terrell</a>

    DON NOTHING WRONG

    Gary Neville remains puzzled by Donny van de Beek's absence from the Manchester United starting line-up.

    The Dutch midfielder has not even played an hour of Premier League football this season and has yet to start for his new club after signing for £35million over the summer.

    Neville said: “What is a little bit of a mystery is the use of Van de Beek since he’s been signed for £40 million.

    “He doesn’t seem to be at the forefront of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s plans in every game. It’s a bit of a mystery that one.

    “And the more he doesn’t start, and the more he doesn’t come on, the more you’re thinking, ‘Well a £40m player, ordinarily you’d get him in the team’.

    “He must be thinking: ‘What am I doing here?’ at this moment in time.”

  • John Hutchinson

    GOOD MORNING UNITED FANS

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has claimed that a full Stretford End would have roared Manchester United on to victory against Chelsea on Saturday.

    Despite many indoor theatres and other venues being open to spectators, fans are still not permitted into football stadia due to coronavirus restrictions.

    Solskjaer fumed: “If we had that stadium or the Stretford End full we could have created more urgency. It lacks, that game lacks.

    “You're here watching the game and it's a different sport. We miss the fans.”

    Meanwhile, Patrice Evra has insisted Manchester United DON’T need new £40million summer signing Donny van de Beek.

    He told Sky Sports: “We’re talking about Van de Beek. Nothing against the kid, but why have we bought him?

    “He’s watching the game from the stand every game. We don’t need him, that’s the truth.”

    In other news, Manchester City are reportedly on the brink of signing Manchester United target Filip Stevanovic from Partizan Belgrade.

    The Red Devils were believed to be close to signing the Serbian winger back in August.

    But with the move having fallen through, City are set to pounce.

    According to the MEN, Pep Guardiola's side will pay around £6million for the teenager.

  • Joe Miles

    EXCLUSIVE

    Writing for SunSport, legendary referee Mark Halsey has assessed Harry Maguire's grapple with Cesar Azpilicueta on Saturday.

    He writes: “It was like a strangle hold on one of those old wrestling shows.

    “A referee always tries to get in the best possible position for the ultimate viewing angle but Martin Atkinson has not seen it. 

    “I would have thought VAR would have recommended a review.

    “In my opinion it is a clear and obvious error. That’s why we have VAR.

    “Stuart Attwell was the VAR official. Had he asked Atkinson to go over and check, he would have awarded a penalty.

    “The statement from the PGMOL and the Premier League was that it was not a clear and obvious error. 

    “I am bemused by that statement.

    “VAR is simple for me. The IFAB protocol is: was that incident a clear and obvious error? One word, in capital letters. YES.”

  • Joe Miles

    ROME FOR IMPROVEMENT

    Sergio Romero is ready to TERMINATE his Manchester United contract, according to 101 Great Goals.

    And The Daily Star claim the goalkeeper wants showdown talks with the club's board.

    He is said to be 'seething' with the United bosses after being axed from the squad.

    Romero has been at Old Trafford since his switch from Sampdoria in 2015.

  • Joe Miles

    NEWS JUST IN…

    Paul Pogba has reportedly quit international football after comments from French president Emmanuel Macron alleging that Islam was the source of international terrorism.

    The Manchester United star has allegedly made the decision following the remarks on Friday from his country’s leader.

    And the French government’s decision to honour the teacher who published offensive images of the prophet Mohammed, which Pogba reportedly resented, are also said to be behind the move.

    That is according to various Middle Eastern news sources, but the 27-year-old has yet to make the news public.

    United ace Pogba’s alleged decision comes in the wake of the beheading of teacher Samuel Paty, 47, who was attacked on his way home from the junior high school where he taught in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, 40km northwest of Paris.

  • Joe Miles

    FIVE ALIVE

    Manchester United's next five games look like this following the bore draw with Chelsea.

    • Man Utd vs RB Leipzig – October 28
    • Man Utd vs Arsenal – November 1
    • Istanbul Basaksehir vs Man Utd – November 4
    • Everton vs Man Utd – November 7
    • Man Utd vs West Brom – November 21

    SHAW-LY NOT

    Luke Shaw has praised Chelsea goalkeeper following his performance during Saturday's 0-0 draw.

    The Manchester United star said: “I feel like we created the better chances.

    “Their keeper made wonderful saves at times.

    “I was right behind [Rashford's shot] and, like I said, their keeper was very good today.

    “He made a couple of very good saves that kept them in the game.”

    GETTING THEIR FIL

    Manchester City are reportedly on the brink of signing Manchester United target Filip Stevanovic from Partizan Belgrade.

    The Red Devils were believed to be close to signing the Serbian winger back in August.

    But with the move having fallen through, City are set to pounce.

    According to the MEN, Pep Guardiola's side will pay around £6million for the teenager.

    It is not believed that Stevanovic, 18, will slot straight into City's first-team squad – making an immediate loan likely.

    He could return to Partizan for the remainder of the campaign.

    IN A HARRY

    Ex-Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher has revealed why Chelsea were not given a penalty against Manchester United.

    Harry Maguire was seen with his arms wrapped around Cesar Azpilicueta in the penalty area in the first half on Saturday.

    He told Premier League Productions: “I think it's solely because the ball is in play and he cleared it too quickly.

    “I think he looked at it, cleared it very quickly and didn't scrutinise it.

    “I think when you look at it in depth, as we have, there's no doubt whatsoever if Martin Atkinson is sent to the monitor, I think he'd make a different decision.”

    LUK AT HIM NOW

    Antonio Conte has claimed Romelu Lukaku was a “rough diamond” at Manchester United before his move to Inter Milan.

    The manager told Sky Sport Italia: “Romelu is a different player to what he was a year ago.

    “I always said in the past that he was a rough diamond that I wanted to work with.

    “He is working and you can see the way he receives the ball, the way he moves, everything has improved.”

    FROM END TO END

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reckons a full Stretford End would have roared Manchester United on to victory against Chelsea.

    Despite many indoor theatres and other venues being open to spectators, fans are still not permitted into football stadia due to coronavirus restrictions.

    Solskjaer fumed: “If we had that stadium or the Stretford End full we could have created more urgency. It lacks, that game lacks.

    “You're here watching the game and it's a different sport. We miss the fans.

    “It's the same for all teams but everyone agrees that football now has a little less in it, the edge has gone and we can't wait to get the fans back.”

    BEEKS AND TROUGHS

    Patrice Evra claims Manchester United DON’T need new £40million summer signing Donny van de Beek.

    But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists the midfielder will get his chance despite being left on the bench for yesterday’s 0-0 draw with Chelsea.

    Evra told Sky Sports: “We’re talking about van de Beek. Nothing against the kid, but why have we bought him?

    “He’s watching the game from the stand every game. We don’t need him, that’s the truth.”

    'MY TYPE OF STRIKER'

    Michael Owen is confident that Edinson Cavani will be a success at Old Trafford.

    After the Uruguay ace almost scored with his first touch during his debut on Saturday, Owen told Premier League Productions: “I love this guy's movement, he's my type of striker.

    “I've always said half a yard at the near post is better than two or three yards at the back post because invariably the ball doesn't get there.

    “And if it does, defenders turn, spin and close you down.

    “The timing of his run, he's on his toes.”

    REF ERROR

    Former referee Keith Hackett has slammed Martin Atkinson for failing to give Chelsea a penalty against Manchester United.

    Chelsea's Cesar Azpilicueta attempted to get his head onto a ball into the United box only to be effectively bear-hugged by Harry Maguire.

    But Atkinson decided it wasn't a foul and VAR also cleared the decision, leaving Chelsea fans furious.

    His decision has left Hackett questioning his decision.

    He said: “It is evident that something is radically wrong with our referees.

    “Last weekend we witnessed Jordan Pickford’s serious foul play going unpunished where VAR and the referee made a catastrophic error by taking no action.”

    VAN START

    Donny van de Beek is still yet to start a single league game for Manchester United.

    Many critics have are questioning van de Beek’s lack of minutes after a few stand-out substitute performances for United.

    But United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has insisted that de Beek will get his fair share of games and said: “Don’t worry about that. He’ll get his games. Don’t worry about that.”

    POG INSTRUCTOR

    Paul Pogba was spotted translating Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s instructions to Manchester United debutant Edinson Cavani.

    Photos have surfaced of Pogba helping his new team-mate get to grips with Solskjaer’s tactics before his appearance.

    It was spotted by ports journalist JS Grond-Tran, who wrote on Twitter : “What talent, this Paul Pogba Polo, which translates the OGS instructions to Edi Cavani in Spanish.

    “Well, OK, maybe it's in Italian or quite simply in French.”

    SAHA SAGA

    Louis Saha has hit back at Paul Scholes’ claim that Anthony Martial ’almost conned’ him at centre-forward for Manchester United, insisting the Frenchman has already proven himself in the role.

    Scholes said: “Martial almost conned us into thinking he was one at the end of last season because he scored so many goals and was quite good.”

    But Saha has come to the defence of Martial and said that Martial has more than proved his worth to the side.

    He said: “He was tremendous last year and he can evolve with players around him.

    “I disagree [with Scholes] a little bit.”

    FLEXIBLE FERNANDES

    Former Manchester United assistant Steve Mclaren believes that Bruno Fernandes's body language while playing isn't good.

    Fernandes was unusually quiet in United's draw against Chelsea after he was moved from central midfield to the right flank.

    While covering the match Mclaren said: “I’ve been watching Bruno Fernandes and he’s disappointed.

    “I saw it last week against Newcastle, when he went out wide, and I’m seeing it again now. His body language is not good, he’s not getting involved.”

    Source: Read Full Article