Anthony Joshua vows to go down as ‘this generation’s great’ after being beaten ‘to pulp’ by Andy Ruiz Jr and written off – The Sun
ANTHONY JOSHUA says he will "go down as this generation’s great" despite being "written off" in boxing.
The Brit, like the entire boxing world, was left stunned when he was was KO'd by late stand-in Andy Ruiz Jr to lose all his world titles last June.
But AJ regrouped and gained his revenge in the rematch six months later by easily outpointing an out-of-shape Ruiz to regain the belts.
In the lead up to that clash in Saudi Arabia many commentators, current and ex-boxers questioned whether Joshua had the hunger for it anymore.
But the 30-year-old proved he still belonged at the top of the boxing tree with an emphatic, one-sided victory.
Now, in a video interview with GQ, Joshua says "being beaten to a pulp" for the first time in his pro career will only help him achieve greatness.
The WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight champ said: "The reality is I got beat, I was shook, everything you saw is what happened, I was beaten to a pulp and I had to pull myself back together.
"Now you will see the rebirth of me, everyone has written me off in this boxing division but I believe I will go down as this generation’s great.
"That was what I went through, I was beaten up and I have to deal with it.
"You take it on the chin, that is life, you have to keep on moving forward, even when the whole world is against you."
Joshua has previously spoken how people turned against him after the shock defeat to Ruiz Jr.
I get older I am getting stronger and more resilient, no one will ever be able to break me
But he says they couldn't "break" him, and of course he did the business in the rematch to shut them up.
Joshua added: "I always keep my close childhood pals from when I was a kid, I have never been a celebrity brown-noser.
"When you have a No1 record, a No1 film or are a boxing champion and it all goes down hill, the celebrities are on to the next thing.
"But when you are with your people, who know you for you, nothing really changes, when i was going home or to my local gym nothing changed,
"It was the people spectating from a distance who had a lot to say.
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just know who I am and as I get older I am getting stronger and more resilient, no one will ever be able to break me."
Joshua's next fight is scheduled to be against IBF mandatory Kubrat Pulev.
That was originally set to take place on June 20, but the coronavirus has seen that postponed.
There has been talk recently that Pulev could step aside to allow AJ to fight fellow Brit Tyson Fury in an undisputed clash.
But recent comments from the 39-year-old Bulgarian suggest he is not prepared to give up his world title shot.
Source: Read Full Article