Australian cricket great Michael Slater arrested for 'breaching restraining order by sending ex 66 texts in two hours'

FORMER Australian test cricketer Michael Slater allegedly breached a domestic violence order after sending his ex a bombardment of texts and calls, a court heard.

The 51-year-old appeared at Manly Local Court on Wednesday, where it was alleged he sent his ex 66 text messages and attempted to make 18 calls in a two-and-a-half-hour window on Tuesday night.

Lawyer James McLoughlin told the court Slater's behaviour was largely due to a relapse with an alcohol problem.

McLoughlin also told the court a bed had been assigned at a Northern Beaches mental health unit for Slater, but the bed won't be available on Wednesday.

Slater was granted bail and ordered to stay at his sister's house on effective house arrest whilst he waits for a bed at the mental health unit to become available.

Magistrate Michelle Goodwin also ordered the former cricketer not to be in possession of a phone as a condition of his bail.

And warned he will be back in custody if he breaches the conditions set.

Goodwin said: "He (should) be under no illusion that if he breaches bail, he will be back in custody."

Most read in Cricket

'SUPERHERO'

Root says he was wrong to expect too much from England's Stokes in First Test

down under

When is the Ashes 2021/22? Dates, UK start time, TV channel and live stream free

PINKIE PROMISE

Why i pink ball being used in Test cricket, and is it being used for Ashes?

AUSSIE RULE

England arguably worst batting line-up in memory – don't rule out Australia 5-0

Police arrested Slater at West Promenade on Wednesday morning after an investigation into the alleged breach of the restraining order.

Slater was then taken to Manly Police Station and charged with contravene prohibition/restriction in Apprehended Violent Order, use carriage service to menace/harass/offend, and breach of bail.

Earlier allegations Slater used his phone to harass or offend his ex girlfriend Melanie Livesey meant the AVO had been in place since November 19.

The incident allegedly occurred between October 12 and 13.

Slater will appear at Waverley Local Court on December 23.

    Source: Read Full Article