Gael Monfils just scored with a wild shot that's already been dubbed 'the best you'll ever see'
- Gael Monfils, a human highlight-reel, just pulled off another extraordinary trick shot.
- Monfils defeated Marton Fucsovics on Court 5 at the Madrid Open on Wednesday, but not after he scored with a spinning jump shot when he had his back to his opponent.
- The shot was described byone tennis publication as “the best you’ll ever see.”
- Monfils beat Fucsovics 1-6, 6-4, 6-2 and faces Roger Federer in the third round on Thursday.
- Visit Business Insider’s home page for more stories.
Gael Monfils won his second round match at the Madrid Open on Wednesday, shortly after winning internet plaudits for hitting “maybe the best shot you’ll ever see.”
The 32-year-old is renowned for his court coverage, ability to switch quickly from a defensive position to offense, and for being a human highlight-reel because of his extraordinary trick shots.
He struck one of those trick shots against Marton Fucsovics on Court 5.
Having lost the first set 6-1, Monfils built momentum in the second and, when he was 5-3 ahead, he pulled off a remarkable spinning shot that completely bewildered Fucsovics.
Read more:One moment in Roger Federer’s first clay match in 3 years shows how wrong he was to fear his return to the soft surface
When Fucsovics attempted to break-up a rally with a drop shot, Monfils slid on the court to hit a return, forcing his opponent to lob to the far corner of the court. It was here where Monfils reached into his box of tricks and pulled out something that delighted fans at the match, stunned the commentators, and sparked internet praise.
Monfils ran to the corner, rebalanced, and with his back to the Hungarian he pulled off a spinning jump shot that was struck with such speed it fizzed past Fucsovics with ease.
It really has to be seen to be believed:
The Tennis Channel on Twitter called it “maybe the best shot you’ll ever see,” while Tennis TV saidMonfils must be from another planet because of just how high he jumped.
The 32-year-old does not have long until he has to come back down to Earth as he takes on Roger Federer in the third round on Thursday, after beating Fucsovics 1-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Source: Read Full Article