MLB bans Mickey Callaway through 2022 over sexual harassment allegations

MLB on Wednesday banned former Mets manager and current Angels pitching coach Mickey Callaway through the 2022 season over allegations of sexual harassment toward several women who work in sports media.

“I have concluded that Mr. Callaway violated MLB’s policies, and that placement on the Ineligible List is warranted,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said.

Callaway, 46, will no longer serve as the Angels’ pitching coach, the team said.

In February, five women, in an interview with The Athletic, gave detailed accounts of multiple instances of aggressive, inappropriate acts by Callaway over five years while he was employed by three teams.

Callaway sent uninvited and sometimes unanswered messages to the women via email, text or social media and asked one to send nude photos in return, according to the report. He often commented on their appearance in a way that made them uncomfortable and on one occasion “thrust his crotch near the face of a reporter” while she interviewed him.

Another time, he told one of the women he’d share information about the Mets if she got drunk with him, the report said. More than one woman received a shirtless selfie or several from him, and one said he massaged her shoulders in the dugout when he thought nobody was watching, according to the report.

Two of the women said they had been warned about Callaway’s behavior by fellow media members and others in baseball, The Athletic reported.

“My family and I fully support MLB’s strong stance against harassment and discrimination and are grateful to the Commissioner and his office for their thorough investigation,” Callaway said in a statement to ESPN. “I apologize to the women who shared with investigators any interaction that made them feel uncomfortable. To be clear, I never intended to make anyone feel this way and didn’t understand that these interactions might do that or violate MLB policies. However, those are my own blind spots, and I take responsibility for the consequences.

“In my 25 years in professional baseball, I have never taken for granted the privilege of being even a small part of this great game of ours. To say I regret my past poor choices would be an understatement. I remain hopeful that I can return to baseball when eligible at the conclusion of next season, but for now, I plan to work on my own shortcomings and repairing any damage I have caused with my colleagues and, particularly, my family.”

— With AP

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article