TV chiefs want Conor Benn vs Chris Eubank Jr fight to go ahead in shock U-turn despite failed drugs test | The Sun
CHRIS EUBANK JR vs Conor Benn is set to get bundled over the line by promoter Eddie Hearn.
The British Boxing Board of Control have refused to sanction the fight after 26-year-old Benn failed a VADA test for a testosterone booster.
But the under-pressure Matchroom boss is considering three foreign licences to get the show officiated at the O2.
Broadcasters DAZN suffered a huge financial hit when Canelo vs Gennady Golovkin bombed last month.
And the sports streaming app, which has lost around £4billion since its inception and failure to land UK Premier League rights, will be hurt drastically if forced to refund all of the subscribers and pay-per-view buyers who wanted to see this catchweight bout, before it was tainted.
Hearn met with the BBBofC on Thursday morning and has threatened them with an injunction if they commit to their banning of the bout, under their banner.
🥊Eubank Jr vs Benn: Ring walk time, live stream, TV channel and undercard info for London super-fight
READ MORE IN BOXING
Ebanie Bridges leaves interviewer in stitches as chat about kitten turns blue
Get up to £100 sign up bonus and 10% cashback with All British Casino in October
But rival commissions will jump at the chance to get recognition and a hefty sanctioning fee, letting the show go ahead under a horrible cloud.
Just two days before the weigh-in it emerged Benn had failed a pre-fight drug test, which SunSport understands was taken on September 23.
He returned an adverse finding for clomifene, which is commonly used as medication to treat infertility in women who do not ovulate.
But it can also increase testosterone levels in men, which is why it is on the World Anti-Doping Agency banned list.
Most read in Boxing
Hearn vows fight ON after drugs test as Luxemberg could SANCTION fight
Benn & Eubank's multi-million-pound bout CALLED OFF after failed drug test
Eubank Jr offered Jake Paul fight as Benn bout COLLAPSES after failed test
Benn hits back 'I'm clean' after failed drugs test KO'd Eubank Jr bout
SunSport also understands there could be an issue with a second test VADA took as part of the WBC’s Clean Boxing Program — but promoters Matchroom refused to comment.
Benn broke his silence to protest his innocence on Wednesday.
He said: "I've not committed any violations. I've not been suspended so as far as I'm concerned the fight is still going ahead.
"I've spoken to Chris personally and we both want the fight to go ahead.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
"We've both taken medical and legal advice and as I said, we want the fight to go ahead for the fans.
"I've signed up to every voluntary anti-doping testing there is under the sun.
"Throughout my whole career I'm tested. All my UKAD tests have come back negative throughout my whole career.
"I've never had any issues before. Even in the lead up to this fight my test have come up negative.
"So my team will find out as to why there's been an initial adverse finding in my test.
"But as I said, the fight is still going ahead. I'm a clean athlete and we'll get to the bottom of this."
Benn's claims of a conversation with his rival have been shot down by Eubank Jr himself.
He told Matchroom Boxing: "There was no phone call. We haven't spoken since this was announced.
"It's a shame. But my promoters, his promoters, the boxing board of control, they're going to sort it out.
"I'm ready, I'm clean, I'm 60 per cent. I've been tested my entire career for the last 10 years. I've been tested more than I've ever been tested for a fight during this training camp.
"I have an app on my phone where I have to designate where I'm going to be every single day and I've been on that app for my entire career and I will be on it for the rest of my career.
"They can come and test me for blood and urine unannounced whenever they see fit and I've never failed a test. I've even been tested on holiday.
"I don't condone failed tests."
The catchweight clash of 157lb was set to take place almost 30 years after their dads' famous rematch, which ended a draw.
Eubank had won the brutal original bout three years prior.
It sent up a next generation fight for their sons three decades later, set to bank the duo around £3.5million.
A press conference is expected at 4pm today.
More to follow…
Source: Read Full Article