Emmerdale star Asan NJie now – from fight fallout, breaking silence and BBC job

At the 2019 TV Choice Awards, Emmerdale actor Asan N’Jie, who played Ellis Chapman, got into a fight with fellow actor Jamie Lomas.

The 27-year-old reportedly got into a scuffle with Jamie backstage after hurling a “completely unprovoked” slur at him.

Jamie, 46, apparently squared up to Asan and it escalated – fast.

During a clip of the brawl, Asan was caught on camera saying to the Hollyoaks actor: “Do you think you are a f***ing big man? I’m going to f***ing kill you."

According to The Mirror, he then whispered: "I’m going to f***ing knife you”, before an onlooker shouted: “This isn’t that kind of party, bro!”

The lairy pair had to be separated and Asan was escorted out by security. It was said, perhaps fittingly, the whole saga was like a “scene from a soap opera”.

What was the fallout?

The fallout was pretty big for Asan, arguably the lesser-known of the two actors.

He had only joined the cast of Emmerdale the year previously. ITV’s initial reaction was to release the following statement: “We are extremely concerned to hear about an incident at last night's TV Choice Awards involving one of Emmerdale's cast.

“Obviously we will be investigating and talking to the actor concerned in due course.”

Not long after Asan was suspended.

An ITV spokeswoman said: "Emmerdale suspended Asan N'Jie pending further investigation into an incident at a central London hotel on Monday night.

"ITV executives have met with him and as a consequence, Asan's contract has been terminated with immediate effect."

Since it was difficult for him to be written out of the soap with no warning, he stayed on for six weeks.

But viewers were not impressed and said his actions were “disgraceful” and he should have been written out immediately.

Breaking silence

Asan apologised and said his behaviour had been “unacceptable’" He added in a statement: “I sincerely apologise to everybody who has been affected especially Jamie Lomas, the whole Emmerdale team, our audience, ITV, my family, and the organisers of the TV Choice Awards.

“I am devastated, accept full responsibility for my actions and I am determined to learn from this.”

However, Aana also commented, in a less official capacity, on social media

Taking to Twitter, he posted a contemplative message putting a positive spin on the events and implying he was going to stick at acting.

"All the people who’ve reached out and had my back you’ll never know how much I appreciate you", he wrote.

"I’ve learned, I’ve grown and now I’m working harder than ever to finish what I started. Keep your circle tight and always fall forward! [sic]"

He added: "The universe tends to unfold as it should."

There were mixed responses to the tweet, as some followers stepped in to defend him, but some were repulsed by his threats to Jamie.

"So good to hear from you Asan. I was worried because it’s like you disappeared. You are human, we all make mistakes. The Universe will open many doors for you," said a supportive fan.

However, another tweeter said: "I have no tolerance with people allegedly threatening others with knives – sorry I don’t want you back on the tv – you had your chance and blew it."

Bloodlands breakthrough

It didn’t take too long for things to look up again for the ambitious actor. Within four months it emerged that he had been offered a role in the gritty BBC drama Bloodlands, set in Northern Ireland and starring James Nesbitt.

Breaking the good news, he said: "Looking forward to the next project."

In the accompanying snap, Asan's script for the new BBC crime series Bloodlands could be seen.

Below, Asan's fans and friends alike wished him good luck, chuffed to see his return to the screen.

One said: "Best of Luck. Really missed seeing you on the Dale but better opportunities were waiting for you."

In a statement about the show, Nesbitt, 54, previously said: “It’s great to be back making a drama in and about Northern Ireland, which now has a film and television industry as good as any in the world.

For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article