BBC refuses to reveal number of complaints after BBC Two viewing figures plunge over repeated Prince Philip coverage

The BBC has refused to reveal how many complaints it received over its repeated coverage of the death of Prince Philip.

The corporation was forced to launch a dedicated online complaints form after disgruntled viewers hit out at wall-to-wall tribute shows.

🔵 Read our live blog for the very latest news on Prince Philip's death

BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Scotland, BBC News, and BBC Alba were all broadcasting identical feeds with a number of scheduled broadcasts pulled.

On Saturday, the BBC again made changes, with BBC One featuring a BBC News special on Philip from 10am until 2pm.

As a consequence, shows including Saturday Kitchen Live, Recipes That Made Me and Football Focus were moved to BBC Two.

The BBC instead aired news specials and tribute shows across many of its channels, including HRH The Duke of Edinburgh Remembered as well as TWO airings of A Tribute to HRH Duke of Edinburgh.

BBC Four was suspended with notices reading: “Programs on BBC Four have been suspended. Please switch to BBC One for a major news report.”

It was later revealed, BBC Two viewers plunged by 64 per cent compared to last week while BBC One's fell by around six per cent between 7pm and 11pm on Friday.

However, the exact number of people who officially complained about the blanket coverage has not been revealed, reports the Mail Online.

In the complaints tab of its website, the Beeb said: 'We're receiving complaints about too much TV coverage of the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.


'Please enter your email address below to register a complaint about this – we'll then send you the BBC's response as soon as it is available.'

However, the BBC will not reveal how many complaints it has received until they are published in its fortnightly complaints bulletin on Thursday.

Some viewers even took to Twitter to voice their annoyance, with one branding the widespread coverage as "completely over the top".

Another commented that the rolling reporting which started on Friday made them "feel uneasy".

However, others rushed to the BBC's defence.

One shared praise for the broadcaster, saying: "Have to give credit to the BBC for their coverage of Prince Philip.

"They’ve finally managed to capture the mood of the country."

BBC declined to comment about the complaints when contacted by The Sun.

Both BBC and ITV interrupted programming on Friday to announce the passing of the Duke – who died just two months short of his 100th birthday.

On BBC One, programming was interrupted by a special "News Report" with a black screen.

Presenter Martine Croxall then said: "We are interrupting our normal programmes to bring you an important announcement.

"A short while ago Buckingham Palace announced the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh."

The national anthem was then played in a sign of respect.

Meanwhile on ITV, This Morning was taken off air abruptly following the death of Prince Philip.

The BBC made the decision to suspend all non-news programming and instead aired special programmes regarding the late Prince throughout the day. 

The rolling coverage meant the hotly anticipated MasterChef final, which was due to air on BBC One, was not shown.

BBC radio stations also immediately interrupted broadcasts with the news of his death.

The BBC said on Friday: “With the sad news that HRH Prince Philip has died, there is now special coverage across all BBC networks to mark his life of extraordinary public service and planned scheduling has been suspended.”

Source: Read Full Article