Broken Buffalo community mourns loss of 10 people in horror mass shooting as heartbreaking victim tributes line streets

A WOMAN walked alone by the site of Buffalo's racially charged mass shooting with three bright-colored bouquets in her arm.

Less than 24 hours earlier, Anisa lost her friend's young daughter and her coworker – who was buying a cake for his nephew's birthday – when Payton Gendron allegedly opened fire at Tops Friendly Market.

Anisa's friends were two of the 10 victims who died, including heroic security guard Aaron Salter Jr.

Six others have been named so far, including Ruth Whitfield, Pearl Young, Katherine Massey, Roberta Drury, Celestine Chaney, and Heyward Patterson.

Three other people were shot but are expected to survive, according to police.

Anisa was dressed in all black and wore dark-colored sunglasses, but the shades couldn't hide her pain as tears poured down her face. She was traumatized and struggled to find the words.


Chilling cry of girl caught in chaos haunts Buffalo mass shooting witness

New York Governor Kathy Hochul slams Twitch over suspect’s live stream

Another woman wrapped her arms around her like so many other people in the tight-knit community did for each other Sunday morning.

"It's not OK," the woman told Anisa.

After their embrace, Anisa shook her head and repeated, "This is not OK."


Gendron was arrested and quickly arraigned on Saturday night when he pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The suspected gunman is an 18-year-old white man who police said drove 200 miles to the only grocery store in a one-mile radius of one of the most segregated black communities in New York State.

Of the 13 victims, 11 were black, according to law enforcement.

New York State Attorney General Letitia James didn't mince words during a Sunday press conference about the shooting in Buffalo.

She called it an act of "domestic terrorism" that should be prosecuted as such.

Gendron was seen in photos during his arrest wearing military fatigues.


Police said he was wearing body armor and a helmet fitted with a camera to live-stream the shooting and upload it directly to Twitch.

The Sun has viewed the graphic video footage, which shows victims being gunned down in the parking lot at point-blank range and inside the store.

One family member told The Sun in an exclusive interview Saturday night that they learned they lost a loved one from screenshots from the live stream.

“It's impersonal and cold to find out this way," said the family member, who wished to remain anonymous because the victim hasn't yet been named.

A toddler was with the grandfather at the time, according to the family member.


The teenager pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder, and his lawyer requested a forensics exam.

The judge denied bail, and Gendron is scheduled to be back in court on Thursday morning.

In a press conference on Sunday afternoon, cops revealed that the teen is currently on suicide watch and they believe he acted completely alone.

His parents' home was also searched on Sunday afternoon and cops said they are cooperating with the investigation.

As it stands, the highest punishment that could be handed down by the state of New York is life in prison without parole.

During a press conference, Garcia called the alleged gun rampage a targeted killing that was "pure evil."

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said it was "the worst nightmare" the community could face.

Read More On The Sun

Kim Kardashian flaunts her tiny waist in a skintight outfit in new photos

Guard’s heroic last act praised as first Buffalo shooting victims named

"This person was pure evil," an emotional Erie County Sheriff John Garcia told reporters.

"It was a straight-up racially motivated hate crime from somebody outside of our community."

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The US Sun team?

Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552. Like us on Facebook at and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS

    Source: Read Full Article