Father who marched son to police says 'it was the right thing to do'

‘I’d do it again’: Father who marched his rapist son to police after discovering texts about the crime says ‘it was the right thing to do’ as the 18-year-old starts two-year sentence

  • Jack Evans, 18, forced himself onto his victim after she had asked him to stop
  • He nearly got away with attack but texted her to say sorry for what he had done
  • Father Jonathan Evans and his wife Sarah Morris saw the message on his phone
  • They marched him to a police station and he told officers his name and his crime
  • He was jailed at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court for two years
  • Jonathan said it had caused arguments but he wanted him to ‘tell the truth’ 

Jack Evans, 18, has been jailed for two years

The father of a teenage rapist who turned his son in said he ‘would do the same thing again’.    

The teenager who forced himself on a girl was jailed after his parents made him confess when they found he had texted his victim to say sorry.

Top grade student Jack Evans, 18, nearly escaped justice over the sex attack because the student never complained.

His father Jonathan, 47, told the Mirror: ‘I would do the same thing again, I would have to because that is my moral standing on it, it is painful but it is right.

‘You cannot get on with your life if you live your life under a lie, as much as this hurts it is the right thing to do.”

Evans apologised to the victim by text two months later and his appalled dad Jonathan and his stepmother Sarah Morris, 47, saw the message and told him to tell police.   

They marched him to a police station where he told officers his name and what he had done.

Evans (pictured) had escaped justice for the rape but when his parents discovered a text from him saying sorry to his victim, they marched him to the police station to confess

They tracked down his victim, who had been a virgin, who told them about the attack and he was charged with rape. 

She said she was left feeling ‘worthless’ and unable to trust men again. 

His father Jonathan said outside Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court: ‘I wanted him to tell the truth, he had to do the right thing and admit his guilt.

Jonathan Evans and his son Jack pictured in 2018 before he told him to confess to rape

‘It’s been difficult for all of us and it’s caused quite a few arguments.

‘I’ve said to him that the best thing for him is to show everyone that you’re doing your best to rectify what has happened.

Evans’ father Jonathan told his son to tell the go to officers to tell them what he had done

‘It has been a shock to the system for him – I’m hoping being in prison will give him time to reflect.’

The court heard Evans’ victim had told him to stop at the last minute but he had carried on during the attack in January last year.

At the time he had been a top grade student studying maths, computing and history in college.

Prosecutor Claire Pickthall said: ‘She didn’t make a complaint but two months later Evans and his stepmother turned up at a police station to say what had happened.’

Evans, of Pontypool, South Wales, was jailed for two years and ordered to register as a sex offender.

Jonathan Evans and wife Sarah Morris, both 47, who are Evans’ dad and stepmother and who marched him to the police station to confess to the rape

Evans’ mother Deniz Stewart was the only parent allowed in court, because of social distancing rules. He mouthed ‘I love you’ to her as he was sent down

He was watched by Deniz Stewart, his biological mother, who he told he loved as he was sent down. Only she was allowed into court because of strict social distancing rules.

Gareth Williams, defending, had asked for a suspended sentence because of the ‘exceptional circumstances.’

Jack Evans, pictured right in evening dress and left with his father Jonathan on holiday, has been convicted of rape after he was marched to a police station to confess

He said: ‘It is extremely rare for anyone to admit to such a serious offence without there being a complaint.’

But Judge Tracey Lloyd-Clarke said there were aggravating features and Evans had to be locked up.

She told him: ‘Two months after the rape you apologised to your victim and said you understood why she was upset.

Parc Young Offenders Institute in Bridgend, where Evans is understood to have been sent to serve his two-year sentence

‘But that text came came to the attention of your father and mother who took you to a police station.

‘You told an officer your name and said you’d has sex with the young woman.’

He was sent to a Young Offenders’ Institute for two years after being given discount for his age and his guilty plea. 

It is understood he is currently in Parc Young Offenders’ Institution in Bridgend, which is in HMP Parc which has a capacity of up to 1,300. 

His father Jonathan wants him to join his software engineering company when he released next year. 

Source: Read Full Article