Five charged with murder over ‘cowardly’ stabbing of teen at Waikiki party

Five people have now been charged with murder over the “cowardly” fatal stabbing of a 17-year-old boy outside a Waikiki party on Saturday night.

Chikayne Heslip died after being attacked by a group of young men around 11.30pm after more than 100 people from a house party spilled out onto Porpoise Grove.

Chikayne Heslip.Credit:Facebook

On Friday WA Police said they had charged an 18-year-old man from Parmelia and a 19-year-old man from Port Kennedy with murder. They have been refused bail and will appear in court on Friday.

This was on top of the three males who had previously been charged, bringing the total charged with murder over the death to five.

It was the second major homicide in the region on Saturday evening following the suspected sniper shooting of former Rebels boss Nick Martin in Kwinana three hours earlier.

WA Police State Crime Assistant Commissioner Brad Royce said: “Most families wouldn’t expect to send their 17-year-old to a party and have police turn up with that sort of news,” Mr Royce said.

“We do have violence at some of these parties, the parties get out of hand.

“Social media is the way they do it now, once you’re on social media the party expands, the numbers expand, the people managing the party aren’t always prepared for those sort of numbers and have to shut things down and a lot of the trouble occurs outside the party and that’s the case on this occasion.”

Mr Heslip’s devastated family released a statement on Thursday, remembering their loved one as a hero.

“Chikayne, our beautiful, caring young man, always put others first,” the statement read.

“Our understanding is Chikayne died protecting his mates and in our eyes he’ll always be a selfless hero, you’ll always be remembered as our hero.”

Mr Royce confirmed initial investigations had indicated the Ellenbrook teen had gone to help friends outside the house and it “resulted in him being chased” in a cowardly attack.

The three charged males will face court on Thursday.

A 17-year-old boy from Port Kennedy will appear in Perth Children’s Court while an 18-year-old Wellard man and a 27-year-old Waikiki man will appear in the Rockingham Magistrates Court.

Each has been refused bail.

Most Viewed in National

Source: Read Full Article