George Floyd's brother says Biden called him to say he's 'praying everything comes out ok' as nation braces for violence
GEORGE Floyd's brother said President Joe Biden called him to say he was "praying everything comes out ok".
Philonise Floyd said the President called him as the world waits for the verdict in the Derek Chauvin murder trial in Minneapolis.
🔵 Read our George Floyd trial live blog for the latest updates
Mr Floyd told NBC's Today show: "He was just calling. He knows how it is to lose a family member, and he knows the process of what we’re going through.
"So he was just letting us know that he was praying for us, hoping that everything will come out to be ok."
Ex- cop Chauvin is accused of murdering George Floyd by kneeling on his neck. The alleged killing sparked massive Black Lives Matter protests across the world last year.
Mr Floyd called for demonstrators who are likely to take to the streets once the trial verdict is revealed to be "peaceful" amid fears violence will break out.
He said: "But at the same time, I can’t stop people from doing the things that they’re doing because people are in pain. They’re hurt."
So he was just letting us know that he was praying for us, hoping that everything will come out to be ok
Mr Floyd said he was "optimistic" about the outcome of the trial.
He said: "Me and my family, we pray about it every day. I just feel that in America, if a black man can’t get justice for this, what can a black man get justice for?"
Thousands of National Guard troops have been drafted in to Minneapolis as the city braces itself for riots when the verdict is given.
It comes as countless protesters took to the streets when the closing arguments were heard on Monday, with demonstrators brandishing signs that read "Blue Lives Murder" as they demanded justice for George Floyd.
Shops and businesses have boarded up doors and windows as the Minnesota city transformed into a fortress over the weekend, with vandals smearing pig's blood and leaving a severed pig's head at the home of an expert witness for his defense.
More than 1,100 officers from public safety agencies across Minnesota have also been brought in to help stem any potential unrest, as the city waits with bated breath over a verdict in Chauvin's trial.
Some 3,000 guardsmen have also deployed by the Minnesota National Guard to assist cops as President Biden is said to be considering how to deal with the situation.
All schools in the city have also been moved to remote learning from Wednesday in anticipation of any violence.
A verdict could be returned as early as the end of this week after closing arguments in the trial were heard on Monday, with jurors retiring to mull Chauvin's fate.
The former Minneapolis police officer is facing charges of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and third-degree manslaughter.
Source: Read Full Article