Man dubbed 'Coronation Street rapist' recalled to prison after release
Serial sex attacker dubbed the ‘Coronation Street rapist’ recalled to prison weeks after he was released due to licensing breaches
- Andrew Barlow, 67, from Bolton, served 34 years in jail before his recent release
- He has now been recalled to prison after a failed attempt to block his parole
A serial sex attacker dubbed the ‘Coronation Street rapist’ for targeting young mothers in their own homes has been recalled to prison due to licensing breaches just months after he was released.
Andrew Barlow, 67, from Bolton in Lancashire, was released earlier this year after he was handed thirteen life sentences for his campaign of terror across five counties during the 1980s.
The predator spent just 34 years in jail after being convicted of 11 rapes, three attempted rapes, indecent assault and using a firearm to resist arrest.
Barlow, formerly known as Andrew Longmire, was first locked up in October 1988 and in the decades that followed he was linked to more horrific crimes as previously unsolved cases were cracked.
The Ministry of Justice said Barlow was being recalled to prison on Friday – just six weeks after the Parole Board rejected a bid by the then justice secretary, Dominic Raab, to halt his release.
Andrew Barlow, 67, from Bolton in Lancashire, was released earlier this year after he was handed thirteen life sentences for his crimes
His tariff was fixed at 20 years and in the decades that followed he was linked to more offending as previously unsolved cases were cracked
His release has left victims and the families of Barlow furious, after they campaigned tirelessly to keep him behind bars along with Manchester MP, Graham Stringer.
Following Barlow’s return to prison, Mr Stringer told the Manchester Evening News: ‘It is extraordinary. I think this is another failure of the Parole Board to use common sense and protect the public from a very dangerous man.
‘They were warned by me and the victims. This is institutional failure of the highest order.’
A relative of a woman Barlow raped in her own home in Greater Manchester in 1987 told the news outlet: ‘I took it on the chin in January and decided to get on with my life when Barlow was released – now this animal is back in our lives again. We told the authorities and they didn’t listen.
‘Someone has to be accountable for this. It will mean all the victims and their families are reliving the agony again like we had to in January when we tried in vain to stop his release. We told the authorities he was too high a risk and we have been proven right.
‘I will like to sit down with someone from the Parole Board face to face and tell them what happened to our family because of Barlow – not submit an email like I had to in January.’
It is understood Barlow’s recall relates to a breach of his licence conditions but he has not been charged with any offences.
Barlow, who lived in Bolton and Oldham, was a Category A prisoner until this was downgraded to B in 2010
After the Parole Board determined on December 12 that he could be released, former Deputy Prime Minister Raab applied in January to cancel the scheduled release of Barlow.
Mr Raab, who was justice secretary before he resigned last month following a bullying inquiry, called Barlow’s crimes ‘despicable’ and applied to the board for reconsideration on January 17.
He argued that the panel which sanctioned Barlow’s release ‘failed to take proper account of the evidence regarding risk and in particular the expert psychology evidence’.
This was based on slightly differing reports from two psychologists about the safety of Barlow’s release – one declared him safe, while another said he should be ‘further tested in ‘open (jail)’ before being confirmed for release.
The Parole Board rejected Mr Raab’s application in February, saying that ‘there has been no misdirection of law’ and the panel had considered ‘all the evidence’.
Dominic Raab, who was justice secretary before he resigned last month, called Barlow’s crimes ‘despicable’ and applied to the board for reconsideration on January 17
Barlow was first locked up in October 1988 after being convicted of 11 rapes, three attempted rapes, indecent assault and using a firearm to resist arrest, after he opened fire with a shotgun as two police officers detained him.
He was subsequently found guilty of two further rapes in 2010 and in 2017, both committed during the 1980s.
The final two convictions were for offences committed in 1981 and 1982.
In the first he raped a woman in front of her three-year-old child, who was hiding behind the settee in their home.
In 2017, Barlow was convicted again – this time of the rape of a 15-year-old girl committed in Great Lever, Bolton, in January 1982.
Barlow would spend days carrying out reconnaissance on his victims’ homes to work out domestic routines, so he knew at what time husbands and partners would leave for work so he could attack women alone (pictured in 1988)
He went into the girl’s home at around 8.45am, when she was alone in her bedroom, after both her parents had left the the house.
He threatened the ‘petrified’ girl with a knife and pulled off her clothes before raping her.
The cold cases were solved thanks to advances in DNA technology and Barlow admitted them both, but said he could not remember either attack.
The predator would target women in their late teens and young mothers mainly in the Manchester area, where he lived during the decade.
He was dubbed the ‘Coronation Street Rapist’ because many of his attacks were on women in terraced houses and streets in the Greater Manchester area (pictured)
He would spend days carrying out reconnaissance on his victims’ homes to work out their domestic routines, so he knew at what time husbands and partners would leave for work so he could attack women alone.
He broke into victims’ homes, used weapons to threaten them – and in one case to cause injury – before assaulting them often while their children were in the same house.
READ MORE: Serial sex attacker dubbed the ‘Coronation Street rapist’ after attacking multiple victims in their homes will be released from jail next month
He was dubbed ‘The Coronation Street rapist’ as most of his victims were attacked in their own terraced homes, mainly in Greater Manchester, near where he lived in Bolton and Oldham. Two of the attacks took place in the street.
Barlow was a Category A prisoner until he was downgraded to Category B in 2010.
His release was subject to stringent licence conditions, including residing at a designated address, adhering to good behaviour, disclosing developing relationships and reporting as required for supervision or other appointments.
He was told he would be subject to an enhanced form of supervision or monitoring including drug testing, signing-in times, GPS trail monitoring, polygraph testing and a specified curfew.
He was also expected to comply with other identified limitations concerning contacts, activities, residency and an exclusion zone to avoid contact with victims and to abide by specified restrictions relating to the use of electronic technology.
A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: ‘Protecting the public is our number one priority.
‘That’s why offenders are subject to tough licence conditions and when they breach them, we do not hesitate to return them to custody.’
The Parole Board has been contacted for comment.
Source: Read Full Article