My son, 1, died in a fall from our 4th floor balcony after I opened window and thought he was with dad…I'm heartbroken | The Sun
A GRIEVING mum has told how her “adventurous” 15-month-old son died in a horror fall from their balcony window after climbing on his electric toy car.
Mihaela Baicans had been preparing lunch in May when Zayn, one, toddled onto their balcony without her noticing – clambering on his electric toy car.
The 27-year-old claims she heard a "strong" noise followed by a scream before someone shouted that a child had fallen.
Terrified student nurse Mihaela then ran down the stairs from her fourth floor apartment before finding her little boy on the floor unconscious.
The youngster had managed to climb on top of his car and fall through the family's balcony window that 'opened like a door', after each parent thought he was with the other.
Little Zayn was then rushed to hospital with a severe brain bleed and fell into a coma, before he was sadly pronounced dead on May 29 this year.
Read More on Parenting
I’m a parenting pro, how to stop your kids’ car seat strap from tangling
LadBaby’s best parenting hacks, including a wine carrier nappy station
Now heartbroken Mihaela is urging all parents to child-proof their homes, while begging them to "spend every moment" with their little ones as she struggles with losing her only child.
Mihaela, who moved from Hednesford, Staffordshire, to Petrosani, Romania, in 2020, said: "It was a typical Thursday.
"Zayn woke up from his nap and went into the living room with his dad [Alex Baicans, 32] while I was in the kitchen preparing lunch.
"I opened the door that goes straight to the balcony and I opened the window for fresh air.
Most read in The Sun
Holly Willoughby sneaks out of the NTAs early after This Morning gets booed
NTAs viewers spot secret feud as top stars fail to clap Holly and Phil
Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield booed by fans as This Morning win NTA
EastEnders stars Bobby Brazier and Danielle Howard spark romance rumours at NTAS
"For a moment Zayn left and his dad thought he came into the kitchen. I didn't hear him because of the cooker hood. I didn't know he had left the living room or that he was on the balcony.
"I heard such a strong noise and instantly started to shake. I remember feeling shocked and a paralysed emotion crept from head to toe.
"My first instinct was to check to see where he was and then I heard someone screaming loud 'a child has fallen'."
Mihaela and Alex then rushed outside to find Zayn's tiny body on the ground – with one of their neighbours watching on in horror.
After a stranger called for an ambulance, he was rushed to hospital where doctors desperately tried to stabilise him before agreeing to put him in an induced coma.
The toddler was then rushed by helicopter to a nearby children's hospital where his parents had a terrifying three-day wait to see if his condition improved.
Mihaela said: "I ran down the stairs screaming and I saw him on the ground.
"He climbed his electric car, reached the window sill, managed to open the mosquito net and fell from fourth floor.
"I screamed for 10 minutes straight until the ambulance came. I don't know who called the ambulance – it was probably the guy who said that he fell.
"At the hospital he started having seizures while doctors tried to stabilise him. They put him straight into a induced coma.
"A helicopter came from Timisoara [western Romania]. His condition got a lot worse and he was sent to the Emergency Hospital for Children Louis Ţurcanu.
"While waiting outside, I found out he was in stage four coma with minimal chances of survival.
"After a couple of hours they let me go inside to stay with him. No one else was allowed but me. My family tried everything to have just one moment with him but they didn't have the chance.
"At the hospital I stood there in disbelief. I was numb.
"Doctors told me they're doing everything they can and to wait at least 72 hours to see what happened."
When Mihaela was allowed in to see her son, she was devastated to find him his eyes "lifeless" and glazed over.
Mihaela said: "After 24 hours they finally let my husband see our child too. I already saw all the signs that he was not showing any improvements.
"His eyes started to open and they were lifeless.
"Zayn had a massive hematoma on his entire brain, he was alive for at least 48 hours because of the ventilators.
"On the Sunday night at approximately 1.30am I got a call from the doctor that Zayn's heart stopped beating."
Zayn, who was 'adventurous' and had a 'special personality' sadly died three days after the accident.
His mum is now urging other parents to make sure their homes are safe for children until they 'understand the danger around them'.
Mihaela said: "My advice for the other parents is not to take it for granted. To stop stressing about cleaning and cooking and spend every single moment with their babies.
"And of course, my main message is to child proof their homes until their kids start to understand the danger around them.
"Zayn was born in on February 16, 2021. He was so special.
"He started walking at seven months. He was so adventurous and we gave him the freedom to explore, but our mistake was that we didn't take enough precautions.
"He loved music so much. He used to dance all the time especially to Ed Sheeran songs.
Read More on The Sun
I’m a time-traveller from 2671 – these huge events are coming VERY soon
You’ve been using your Air Fryer wrong & it’s why it’s such a nightmare to clean
"[He had] such a special personality and he loved people – even strangers. He wasn't shy at all.
"Me and his dad have been together since 2013 and we got married same year we planned to have Zayn. He was so wanted, by us and our entire family."
Source: Read Full Article