R Kelly fails in his latest bid for freedom after being ‘savagely beaten in his cell’

R KELLY'S latest bid to flee jail has been denied by a federal judge.

The singer, charged with sex crimes against minors, was "savagely beaten" by a fellow inmate and pushed for release and a hearing following the attack.


Kelly, 53, suffered no broken bones or serious injuries as a result of the attack, a prison doc said – but lawyers pushed the case through claiming footage showed no one "raised a finger" as he was pummled in his cell.

The singer's lawyers also said he suffered "significant physical and psychological injuries".

But US District Judge Harry Leinenweber ruled: "While this incident is concerning, it does not warrant immediate release.

"This single isolated incident does not suggest that the Bureau of Prisons is incapable of safely housing Mr. Kelly."

The controversial R&B singer is being held at Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago charged with engaging in sex acts with five minors and using threats to keep victims quiet.

He was allegedly sat on his bed at the time of the incident, when an inmate – angry about the detention facility being placed on lockdown due to Kelly protesters outside the jail – launched the attack.

According to Page Six, the inmate who attacked him – Jeremiah Farmer – has since been moved to a different facility.

Judge Leinenweber added: "In any event, release from custody is not the appropriate remedy for such a wrong.

“If Mr. Kelly wishes to challenge the conditions of his confinement or the MCC’s ability to protect him, he can bring those claims in a separate civil action following proper exhaustion of administrative remedies."

The accused sex pest, who was shopped following years of protests and campaigns from the alleged victim's families, as well as an extensive sting by the Chicago Sun Times and haunting Lifetime documentary Surviving R Kelly, has made repeated attempts at freedom.

Kelly filed a motion asking to be released on bail, citing multiple confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Chicago jail where he is being held earlier this year.

And back in April, Kelly’s sexual abuse trial in New York was postponed to September 27, and then again to this month due to the ongoing pandemic.

US District Judge Ann Donnelly ruled that the previously scheduled July 7 date was not realistic in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

Federal prosecutors in the Chicago case charged Kelly last July with engaging in sex acts with five minors, recording some of his alleged abuse on video, and threatening victims.

Kelly was also charged last February by Illinois state prosecutors with aggravated sexual abuse, and last August by Minnesota state prosecutors with soliciting sex from a minor.

The R&B singer repeatedly denied any wrongdoings.

In 2008, Kelly was acquitted at trial on state child pornography charges in Illinois.



Source: Read Full Article