‘Security threat’ that locked down Pearl Harbor military base was bomb scare
Pearl Harbor military base on lockdown over ‘potential security threat’
Remains of World War II sailor identified 80 years after Pearl Harbor
The legend of Sleepy Hollow: Beloved local Pearl Harbor survivor turns 100
Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day goes virtual due to COVID-19
A “potential security threat” that sent the military base at Pearl Harbor into emergency lockdown Tuesday was sparked by two phoned-in bomb threats, according to a report.
Gates at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam near Honolulu were closed and personnel were ordered to shelter in place after calls claiming there was an explosive on the destroyer USS William P. Lawrence, which is in dry dock, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported.
Authorities sent in bomb-sniffing dogs to scour the ship and the surrounding area but no bombs were found, the Star-Advertiser said.
Hours later, the military base said on Twitter that the “all clear” had been given.
A “person of interest” was questioned by authorities but was found to not be involved in making the threats, the outlet said.
Officials said tours of the USS Arizona Memorial, which had been suspended due to the security threat, resumed after the base was cleared by military personnel, Honolulu police and the Federal Fire Department.
“We are grateful to the first responders who helped us investigate and secure the potential incident,” said Col. Tammie Harris, deputy joint base commander.
“I want to assure everyone that we will do everything possible to maintain the operational readiness of JBPHH while protecting the safety of our base employees, our service members and their families,” Harris said.
The massive base is home to both Hickam US Air Force Base and US Naval Station Pearl Harbor. The two bases were joined in 2010.
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article