US Men’s soccer team cancels Qatar training camp amid Iran tensions as 2022 World Cup safety fears grow – The Sun
THE US Mens National Soccer Team has called off its training camp in Qatar following the airstrike that killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.
The US Soccer Federation made the announcement Friday, as concerns grow over the team's safety during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
The federation said in a statement: "Due to the developing situation in the region, U.S. Soccer has decided to postpone traveling to Qatar for the Men's National Team's scheduled January training camp.
"We are working with the Qatar FA to find an opportunity in the near future for our team to experience Qatar's world class facilities and hospitality."
The national team had been scheduled to play closed-doors matches at the Aspire Academy, Doha, from January 5 until January 25, before heading to Carson, California, for a friendly with Costa Rica.
According to the men's national team's Twitter account, the training camp has now been moved to the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, starting on Monday, January 6.
The federation added that the friendly with Costa Rica, on February 1, will still go ahead as planned.
The U.S. Soccer Federation's communications team tweeted on Friday night: "Quick turnaround to get this done! Credit to the #USMNT administrative staff for organizing the logistics on such short notice from halfway across the world."
Tensions have continued to rise in the Middle East following the targeted killing of General Soleimani, the head of Iran's elite Quds Force, at the orders of US President Donald Trump.
Iran have since vowed revenge, and US officials have said they will be sending nearly thousands of additional troops to the Middle East as a result.
On Sunday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Britain "will not lament the death" of the powerful general.
Qatar currently houses around 10,000 US military personnel.
Source: Read Full Article