Woman fighting her life after beaten, gang raped and left hanging naked from an electricity pole in India
A WOMAN is fighting for her life after she was beaten, gang raped and left hanging naked from an electricity pole in India, it has been reported.
The victim was left for dead after she was ambushed by a pack of men as she went to the toilet during a wedding celebration at her home.
She was found hanging from the pole in the village of Chakhabib Rudhiya in the northern Bihar state on Tuesday, according to local media.
Villagers rushed to her hospital after she was discovered unconscious and in a critical state.
It has been reported that the woman was targeted after she used an open toilet.
She was allegedly dragged away by depraved animals where they took her to a deserted area where she was raped and beaten, reported India Today.
The men threatened to kill her if she resisted, and stole her jewellery, reported local media.
After they thought the woman was dead, they hung her body from an electricity pole.
She was taken to a hospital in Dalsinghsarai, before being referred to another facility for treatment.
HOW YOU CAN GET HELP:
Women’s Aid has this advice for victims and their families:
- Always keep your phone nearby.
- Get in touch with charities for help, including the Women’s Aid live chat helpline and services such as SupportLine.
- If you are in danger, call 999.
- Familiarise yourself with the Silent Solution, where you call 999 and press ‘55’ if you can’t safely speak.
- Always keep some money or a bank card on you, including change in case you need a pay phone or bus fare.
- If you suspect your partner is about to attack you, try to move towards an exit if you are inside the house and get your phone in case you need to call for help.
- Avoid the kitchen and garage, where there are likely to be knives or other potential weapons. Avoid rooms where you might become trapped, such as the bathroom.
Women’s Aid provides a live chat service – available every day from 10am-6pm or email [email protected]
SupportLine is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 6pm to 8pm on 01708 765200. The charity’s email support service is open weekdays and weekends during the crisis – [email protected]
You can also call the freephone 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247.
The woman, who remains anonymous, is in a critical condition and is unable to speak yet, according to local media.
There is uncertainty around whether she is conscious or unconscious due to conflicting local news.
No arrests have been made yet but seven men are being questioned in connection to the incident , after they were tracked down by horrified villagers and handed over to the police.
The men in question are labourers who were hired to set the tents up for the wedding – which was held at the victim's home.
The celebrations reportedly meant a lot of outsiders were brought to the village.
Police are also speaking to the woman's family, She the People reported, as the woman herself has not yet been able to give a statement.
The alleged sex attack is just the latest to be reported in India, where a woman or girl is raped every 15 minutes according to federal data.
In Bihar alone, data shows 1330 rape cases were filed in 2020.
In December 2012, the gang rape of a 23-year-old sparked nationwide fury and led to tougher new anti-rape laws.
Source: Read Full Article